Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me? {A Nonfiction Annotation}


Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
Title: 
Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me?
Author: Mindy Kaling
Publisher: Crown Archetype
Publication Date: November 1, 2011
Page Count: 222
Genre: Nonfiction
Time Period: Present Day
Location: N/A


Mindy Kaling has written a witty and self-deprecating memoir about what it was like growing up as a chubby Indian girl in California and eventually coming to the realization that being yourself is better than pretending to be someone else. She engages us with stories of making it (and not making it) in the industry and makes us laugh with tales of dating and growing up. At times you will feel like you're sitting with your best friend having a conversation while at others you will feel like you are reading stories from who great up in LA. Either way, you are in for an enjoyable read.

Women comedians
Celebrities
Comedians
Adult Books for Young Adults

Pacing
Fast-Paced

Tone
Self-deprecating

Writing Style
Candid
Conversational
Witty

Tone - "Tone is a description of how it feels to read a book" (Wyatt 21). This book felt very fun and light as I whipped through the pages and the audio book (I went back and forth between the two.) I felt as if I were just listening to a close friend regale me with stories of her time away from home.

Frame/Setting - Setting might be important to the reader, so this is a question you would want to ask the person to whom you are providing RA. With this title, it takes place mostly in LA with her childhood stories and then in New York when she is older. There aren't major descriptions of the areas, so to speak, but you do get a sense of the school, her office, her apartments, and things of that nature.

Language/Style - When providing RA, the language of non-fiction books for readers will probably be of huge importance. As Wyatt states, "the importance of language to the reader is idiosyncratic to the book and to the reader's mood and tastes" (21). This book's language is simple and conversational and fit the material of the book to perfection.

Characterization - 
Characterization is also a driving element for many nonfiction readers. While it may not seem like it, the author still needs to be developed in a memoir. The fast-paced narrative helps us to get to know Mindy fairly quickly (Wyatt 13).

Pacing - 
According to Wyatt, pacing involves getting to know the character, the amount of fact and theory involved in the the writing, and the speed at which the story unfolds. The narrative flow of this story is like a conversation for the most part, lending to its fast-paced narrative. (11).


Book Jacket
I Know I Am, But What Are You? by Samantha Bee
Both of these memoirs are self-deprecating and witty and contain a collection of humorous essays.

Book Jacket
Yes Please by Amy Poehler
This novel features the engaging and witty writing style as well as the self-deprecating tone that Mindy Kaling presents in her books.

Book Jacket
I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-Star by Judy Greer
This is another adult memoir that has good young adult appeal with a funny tone and candid, conversational writing style, just as Kaling's novel.



NoveList | EBSCOhost. www.ebscohost.com/novelist.

Wyatt, Neal. The Readers' Advisory Guide to Nonfiction. American Library Association, 2007.

Comments

  1. Hi Brandy,
    I think I need to read all three of these books! I love all of these ladies, and I don't think we can get enough of successful female comics. I'm glad there is recently a market for these types of memoirs by younger women. You don't have to be 70 before you write a memoir!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the readalikes! I love this writing style - the humor mixed with fun and relevant advice (and some not relevant advice, but still fun to listen to/read). I'm sure some will be funnier than others and some humor will be more appealing to some than others, but I'm looking forward to trying them all out. :) I love that the younger women (and men) are getting their stories out there. :)

      Delete
  2. I like that you included the subject headings in your book annotation. Great job! Another book that I really enjoyed that is in the same vein as these was Aisha Tyler's (most known for her character Lana on Archer) book Self Inflicted Wounds: Heart-Warming Tales of Epic Humiliation. I listened to the audiobook with my mom on a road trip. It was a good mix of humorous but not raunchy. In it she talks about her childhood and the progression of her career from comedian to actress. My favorite parts were about her childhood and her seemingly being born already six feet tall and awkward. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely have to check that one out! I cannot relate at all to being awkwardly tall (not even 5' here! lol), but I like the idea of humorous but not raunchy. (sorry for the delay in response - I was on vacation with my kiddos! :) )

      Delete
  3. Hey Brandy,

    Great review. I think I will need to put this on my list since I liked Yes Please so much. I liked the way you laid out each topic and listed the subjects headings to give me a better idea of what the book is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I just got back from visiting a friend in TN and we went to a used bookstore where I picked up Yes, Please! :) I'm looking forward to reading it.

      Delete
  4. I loved this book! For being a celebrity she seems very relate-able and down to earth. Excellent job on your annotation. Full points!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celebrity memoirs are one of my guilty pleasures. Yes Please has been one of my favorites. I'll have to add this one to my "to-read" list. I especially like it when they are fast-paced.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enter Into the Matrix {RA Guide to NF, Week 12}

Boneshaker {Sci-Fi Novel Annotation}

Integrated Advisory {Week 6 Prompt}